The principal educational program has several types of practice:
- research work (also field work);
- organizational and managerial (training);
Research practice contributes the formation of a number of competencies, here are the following:
- the ability of self-preparing research and practical tasks, and their ways of achievements;
- practical professional skills, first of all, skills of collecting ethnological, socio-anthropological and biological-anthropological information in the field;
- the ability to form scientific research programs, also to collect, understand, critically analyze and use anthropological and ethnographic information.
Organizational-management practice allows student to supplement a number of professional skills such as:
- readiness to act in non-standard situations, to bear social and ethical responsibility for made decisions;
- readiness to adapt to new social and professional situations, to take organizational and managerial decisions under the condition of different opinions and in non-standard situations.
Students enrolled in “Migration Studies” program get professional experience based on summer practices, including related LSAR-based research projects. In 2019 summer the practice will be conducted jointly by Institute of Socio-Political Studies of Russian Academy of Sciences in Moscow, where students will get acquainted with activities of organizations working in migrant issues field. Under learning curriculum of the summer practice in 2019, it is also planned to have an internship and conduct field work at the Center for Independent Social Research (CISR, St. Petersburg), which has been engaged in migration researches for many years, and also takes on internship from St. Petersburg students. Platforms for passing summer practices are also available, in Tomsk: Migration and Citizenship Limited Liability Company, Context Research Center, House of Peoples Friendship in Tomsk. Practices outside of Russia are also planned. Thus, two students in the summer of 2019 will be doing practical work at the Ust-Kamenogorsk Police Department of the East Kazakhstan Region Police Department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Pre-diploma practice is the final one, which is the result of previous practices in the development of a scientific topic of research, field material collection and its processing.